View Single Post
Old April 17, 2008, 06:09 AM   #19
River Rat 1969

Variables & Controls In Reloading

[B]Jonathan, I agree with what everyone else has written..........especially TexasSeaRay. In particular, I would ascertain if the rifling twist rate in your barrel is correct for a 100 grain bullet. For many years we used a 7mm Remington Magnum for deer at night, and switched to a groundhog load in the daytime (with needed changes to zero). 100 grain Hornady hollowpoint bullets produced explosive kills on groundhogs.

Since you are a new reloader, I would suggest a couple of things to make learning somewhat easier. First thing................get load manuals from several companys...........Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, Speer..........and read all of them front to back. Many times a load from one manual will be much "hotter" than the other manuals. If you always start with lighter loads, you should be safe. Never, under any circumstances, start with what a load manual lists as a maximum load.......never, ever.

I know everything related to shooting has jumped in price recently, but one thing will help you tremendously with your reloads.........Lapua brass. This stuff isn't cheap, but is worth every penny it costs. Extremely consistent, uniform brass. Don't build "hot" loads, if you want to be frugal. Mid range loads will allow you to reload your (expensive) brass many more times than "hot" loads. If you need more velocity in that caliber/bullet weight, get a hotter magnum cartridge. Accurate, economical mid range loads will allow your barrel to last longer, as well (assuming you clean properly).

Make sure you buy good tools, and use them. Finally, shoot, shoot, shoot. You can build the most accurate loads on earth, but if you don't get out regularly, and shoot, you will not achieve what I think you are looking for.

Best regards, Jim

Page generated in 0.03000 seconds with 8 queries