View Single Post
Old July 14, 2006, 10:22 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

DakTo,

You didn't state what barrel length you have, but it will take about 12.5 grains of 2400 to get to the speed you want in a 7.5 inch barrel. The problem is that powder is really best suited to full magnum loads and at the reduced pressures of a 1000 fps underloading, only 70% will burn while the bullet is in the barrel. This means you can expect some powder residue to be left behind. I've read a couple of S&W owner's complaints about 2400 residue from low pressure target loads jamming their guns in 50 rounds or so. I've personally seen a lot of the little yellow waxy looking granules it leaves in a .44 Special, where SAMMI maximum is only 15,500 PSI. So 2400 is not my first choice for a target load, though the pressure is very modest at about 12,000 PSI.

The next thought is to try Trail Boss in about 7.3 grains (max load - starting load 6.0 grains). According to the manual, it will produce about 21,000 PSI pressure and the same velocity. Because it is a newer powder from the same Australian company that makes Hodgdon's extreme series of powders (Hodgdon now owns IMR), it is likely to be cleaner burning, but I don't know without trying. I just bought a bottle, but haven't tried it yet. It certainly appears to lack the heavy dose of graphite that is part of the soot problem with older flake powders like Bullseye and Unique.

Another possibilty is about 6.7 grains of Hodgdon Universal Clays (not to be confused with just plain "Clays", which is a much faster powder). This will burn 100% in the tube and generates about 17,500 PSI.

Incidentally, 17,500 or even 21,000 or so PSI is nothing to be concerned about in a gun chambered for the .44 Magnum. The maximum SAMMI pressure for the .44 magnum is about 36,000 PSI, so these are well under maximum safe pressure. It just isn't suitable in the .44 Special.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; July 15, 2006 at 10:07 AM.

Page generated in 0.02810 seconds with 8 queries