View Single Post
Old March 21, 1999, 05:59 PM   #10
Mal H
Staff

I've got to agree with bfoster, electronic scales are no faster nor more accurate than balance scales. I used a PACT elec scale for a few years and thought it was the best invention ever. But I got tired of waiting for it to register when nearing the end of a weighing. I also found that it was sometimes off by a few tenths after a short while and had to be re-zeroed (re-tared?) or at times re-calibrated. It was also susceptible to static electricity on dry days.

I recently broke out my old Lyman balance which I had used for reloading for over 30 years and, frankly, I haven't gone back to the electronic scale. I find that I can reach an exact load much faster. I can estimate how many grains of powder it will take to reach the end weight just by looking at where the pointer is on the scale and scoop that number out of or into the powder cup. This is especially true with tubular or extruded grains. And unless gravity changes over the course of a reloading session, I can be assured that the last load will be the same as the first. I don't have that confidence with an electronic scale.

Page generated in 0.02423 seconds with 8 queries