View Single Post
Old November 20, 2005, 07:31 AM   #6
Low Key

When I was growing up we had a wood stove upstairs in the living room and down in the basement we had a coal stove. After school every evening, my brothers and I were responsible for bringing in coal for the night and next day and stacking a small pile of wood on the back porch for the wood burner.
That was before I was big enough to swing an axe. When I got strong enough to actually split a piece of wood, that became my job in addition to whacking the large chunks of coal into manageable pieces. I didn't so much mind the wood splitting, a good swing, a solid whack, and two pieces of wood fall where there was only one before! But cracking up the coal was another story, you had to chip at it rather than take a big swing and the little pieces would fly up in your eyes and down your coat collar. We didn't know about safety glasses back then, so there was more than one occasion where dad had to wash coal dust out of my eyes for me.

I still don't mind splitting wood. It's good exercise, and I remember working up the wood pile as a kid with my dad watching me out the window and pretending he wasn't watching.

Dragoon, I mostly shoot in my own back yard but sometimes I go to the local range with a couple of buddies. I like to take my 58 with me for a hoot and I wear my holster rig while at the range. I've found that most people are seriously curious about BP pistols, especially if they have never been around them before. I've heard more than once, "What the hell is that you are shooting?!" LOL! Most people around here know about the BP rifles, but cap n ball pistols are another story. Some people will come out and ask questions and others will kind of stare at your rig out of the corner of their eye while trying to look like they're not staring at you!

Page generated in 0.03193 seconds with 8 queries