View Single Post
Old April 16, 2014, 07:40 PM   #160
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by Jim243: So do those that break into houses for a living, that means you will not be home and a police car will not be near.
While burglars may generally prefer to enter unoccupied structures. there are enough cases of break-ins of occupied homes in our suburban area and elsewhere in the country to render that assertion incorrect.

A police car may or may not be near, but unless its presence deters the crime, that won't matter very much.

Quote:
So any unsecured firearm you have in the house is an opportunity for a big payday for a crook. You may think that you have hidden that pistol well, but don't believe it these people do this for a living and can bust your hideouts in no time flat.

Unless they are locked in a large safe that can not be moved, your firearms are at risk
True.

Quote:
You stand a much greater chance of being car jacked than of having someone break into your home while you are there.
No.

Check your facts. This has been covered here numerous time over the last few years.

You have a significantly greater chance of being violently attacked somewhere other than in your home, but that includes attacks in parking lots, in parking garages, on sidewalks, and everywhere else. And many attacks do occur in the home.

Quote:
So no, I agree that the kids welfare is more important than being able to instantly draw and shoot it out with some bad guy while my children are present.
Agree.

But---in the unlikely event that "some bad guy" (and there rae usually more than one of them) should enter your home with criminal intent, with a risk if not a likelihood of committing crimes against persons, wouldn't it be a good thing to be able to do something effective to attend to the "kids welfare" at that time?

Quote:
And yes the family is completely protected in our home, just not with guns lying around or on my hip. There are other ways of doing that.
It is always a good idea to look to home security in the context of an overall systemic solution, but I respectfully submit that nothing will ensure that the family is "completely" protected.

Page generated in 0.03951 seconds with 8 queries