View Single Post
Old June 11, 2013, 02:20 AM   #9
BlackFeather

I second the Shivworks mention.

I don't currently have a gun to carry, no money to replace mine. So I do rely on hand to hand, or baton, or knife techniques if it comes down to it. I don't carry my baton much anymore, even though it provides more less lethal options than a knife. I look at it this way, if I'm likely to be in an encounter with a person who is a lethal threat, they are likely carrying an impact weapon or knife, and I won't have time to reach for much, so my hands are always the first defense. I would never go knife to knife, no matter how much I have trained it. Knife to impact weapon is a strong possibility, especially because against a weapon with more reach, it's safer inside the arc. If they have a gun at close range, they can have what they want, if it's my life, I'm not sure drawing something is going to help, so my hands will hopefully do what they have trained to do. If it's at a distance, I do what anyone in the right mind would do when carrying anything, GET TO COVER.

I find that in my experience in many forms of martial arts and self defense, there is always something to work on, and their are always more tools to learn to use. Sticking to no more than two tools and having the ability to provide support with every natural tool is the simplest route to being effective and not getting confused. I just switched to a different carry knife, and I have found more options, but lost some, so everything has a give and take.

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]

Page generated in 0.02915 seconds with 8 queries