View Single Post
Old April 13, 2013, 04:11 PM   #52
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM
I do not need any studies. I lived through those periods. I do know the mindset of kids when I was a kid, and adults when I became an adult.

I know that until a thought is put into your head you do not think of it. However, when it is put there over and over and over again it does desensitize one to such things. If you watch **** over and over and see thing that you would never have even dreamed of, then there are those who want to try them. Until they were put into one's thoughts there was no possibility of them happening.

People do influence the thinking of others, and so it is with violence and essentially all things.

Anyway, having turned 80 last year, and lived through a fair amount of this nation's history I am capable of logically making some of those types of determinations. The argument that no credible study, blah blah cuts no ice with me. I suspect there have been credible studies that show some link between what people watch and play and their behavior, including murder.

I am going to leave it there, and each can think as he will.

Regards,
Jerry
With no disrespect intended, as I was taught to respect my elders, being older is not a substitute for a logical argument. I have had arguments with people in their 60s and 70s who support gun control and cite the same specious, fact-devoid arguments the Brady Campaign cites.

They also "don't need any studies" to know that more guns cause more violence.

There have been studies that show a link between movies/games and behavior, and they have almost entirely been as agenda-driven and methodologically suspect as the "studies' by the Violence Policy Center showing how dangerous it is to own a gun. They go into the study wanting the result. Proper peer-reviewed studies without an agenda have not managed to prove the link, just how they haven't managed to prove it with guns. And, just like with guns, frequently some studies bump across the opposite result - that games/guns provide a healthy outlet and reduce violent tendencies.

But what do I know? I'm just an every-scary-feature AR-15 owning guy that has played every game the media has freaked out about in the last 15-20 years, including Grand Theft Auto 2, 3, and 4, Postal, the entire Doom series, Manhunt, every Call of Duty game, every Battlefield game, ever Gears of War game, ever Fallout game, and every Left 4 Dead game. I've never been in a fight, I've never even had a traffic ticket, and in a year I'll have a doctorate. I believe this is because I was parented right and mental health issues were never stigmatized in my household - proper counseling and ADHD treatment saved my sanity and my schooling.

With both of my hobbies, I get tired of arguments made by people who think they know better based on nothing more than personal distaste.

Last edited by LockedBreech; April 13, 2013 at 04:18 PM.

Page generated in 0.03234 seconds with 8 queries