Thread: Plated vs FMJ
View Single Post
Old April 27, 2012, 05:32 PM   #8
BigJimP

Not all plated bullets are created equal...

Rainier ballistics - as an example, I think are pretty inconsistent on weight and shapes...( in a 230gr example ...you might find some at 225gr ...and some at 232 gr ) ...and the shapes can be a little irregular.../ the plating is pretty thin / and I've seen it fracture and fragment as the round goes downrage...making it very inaccurate. With Rainier - they say use Lead bullet data...for reloading. I've used them for range practice...but I'm not crazy about them ...and prices seem to be going up..

Berry's plated...I find have a heavier plating ...and are a lot more consistent in terms of weights.../ they say use FMJ bullet data for reloading - but don't load them faster than 1200 fps ....but I do use some of them in calibers like .357 mag and they're fine ( but I keep them under the mfg's recommendation of 1200 fps ). I like this bullet a lot ..and its a little cheaper than Montana Gold ( FMJ ).

FMJ, CMJ, etc ...are just a higher quality bullet...way more consistent in terms of weight ...( maybe off 0.4gr ...with a product like Montana Gold ) ...FMJ does have an exposed lead base / CMJ is fully jacketed - even the base. Montana Gold - is a high quality product in my view ...and very consistent and very accurate. CMJ is a little more expensive than FMJ ...at least in Montana Gold.

Page generated in 0.03068 seconds with 8 queries