View Single Post
Old November 30, 2009, 05:29 PM   #94
AK103K

Quote:
dont go to ranges
Thats been my solution for the most part, or at least ranges that dont have many people there, and who dont care if you shoot these types of weapons there. Lucky for me these days, I rarely see a soul at the range when I shoot, and its nice not to have the attention and hassles.

I've actually had more contact with the police when not at a range though, especially when we lived in a more suburban area, even though it was still rural. People have been told and conditioned that machine guns are all illegal, and it wasnt long before the police showed up the first couple of times. Most of the encounters were cool, and a couple even stayed and shot a little (I always kept a couple of mags just in case they showed up ), but most didnt.

For the most part, the ranges are just a source of people who dont have a clue as to what is legal and what isnt, but even so, they seem to know it all. I've been told on more than a few occasions that my guns were illegal and I was going to be arrested, and this was by people who were shooting at the range. I've also been chastised by shooters who thought I shouldnt be able to own them, as they gave us all a bad name. Todd forbid, they associate my machine gun with their fancy sporting clays gun or benchrest rifle. We are actually our own worst enemy most of the time.

I've always carried a copy of my paperwork with me, and have only had to show it to someone a couple of times. If you want to shoot at a range, and they will even let you, they usually require you have it along. Its their rules, and it gives the boy at the counter that little extra authority that so many of the employees and RO's at these type places seem to need and thrive on. You just made their day coming in with something that they can challenge you with. These days, I try my best to avoid them all like the plague. Actually, I'm starting to think I'm still in the 4th grade, and these are all the people wanting to be on the safety patrol and cant wait to run to the teacher to turn me in and get a gold star.

I understand perfectly cptsplashdown's question and plight, and do agree with him. I also understand how things work, and I'm tired of butting heads with nit wits and those on power and authority trips, so I just try to lay low anymore and try to have some fun. So far...life is good, and layoff (with lots of range time) is just around the corner.

Page generated in 0.02091 seconds with 8 queries