View Single Post
Old September 3, 2009, 11:55 AM   #1
300magman

Flattest Shooting Hunting Caliber

I'm just looking for input to settle a debat a few guys and I got into earlier today. We were talking about how if a target's range (In these parts, that means deer or moose) is uncertain the best friend you can have is a flat shooting rifle.

Quick example, if you see a deer that you think is About 250 yards away and you're carrying a 45-70 firing 400gr round nose ammo, then your going to miss unless you're extimated range is within +/- 20 yards of the actual distance. But if you're carrying a 300winmag with 165gr bullets it doesn't matter if your off by 50 yards your still going to hit vitals.

Anyway, I was arguing the flattest hunting round suitable for both deer and moose had to be the 300RUM, while my friend contested something in the 270 or 7mm family had to be flatter and still powerful enough for longer shots on moose. A random bystander overhearing us, weighed in and swore he could handload something in the 338 family (he didn't say standard 338, 338RUM, or 338 Luopa) just that he could handload something that would shoot flatter than anything we were discussing and still not obliterate medium range deer. Though he conceeded it would be on the heavy side in terms of acceptable meat damage.

Let the debates begin

Page generated in 0.02631 seconds with 8 queries