View Single Post
Old June 10, 2014, 03:32 PM   #1
jclayto

Looking for a powder recommendation: 9mm subgun

I am reloading for a full auto Uzi in 9mm, but can't seem to make a load warm enough with my current components. As you know, powder is pretty scarce these days so I would like to pick your collective brains before I start the search for new powder.

I am not asking for recipes that are potentially unsafe or above published load data, but instead, powder/load recommendations that should cycle well with a heavy open bolt. The gun runs 100% with Winchester white box ammo and Winchester Nato so I am fairly certain the gun is not to blame.

I currently have plenty of Titegroup and Bullseye powder on hand.

The best running load I have tried so far is a 124g precision delta FMJ over 4.4 titegroup at 1.140. It works, but its still a little on the finicky side. I loaded the same load at 1.150 based on a another Uzi owners suggestion and had worse than normal results.

Last week I tested some 115 Grain thick plated RN bullets. The manufacturer suggest FMJ load data since these are thick plated.

I loaded 4.4g Titegroup, 4.6g titegroup, 4.6g bullseye all at 1.150 and had no luck. Lots of failures to feed and full auto burst were very inconsistent in rate of fire.

From my research I am starting to believe that neither bullseye nor titegroup is suitable for my needs. I seem to be finding suggestions of 231 on a lot of full auto forums. Does this sound reasonable? Is there another powder that I might could safely load a little warmer? (Again, within published specs)

I could also stand to replace my Lee second edition manual, so I am open to manual suggestions as well

Page generated in 0.02221 seconds with 8 queries