View Single Post
Old October 29, 2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

SD ammo choice. Do you agree with my logic?

Before going into further detail I want to lay down a few facts that should avoid responses offered in good faith but which end up being of little use to me:

-Firstly hollow-points are not legal here, so they are not an option.
-Secondly there are none of those FMJ "expanding" bullets
-Finally any expansion in rounds is in the form of soft points and those are limited to things like .38spl, .357, and .44Mag.

So now onto my question. This question is limited to my semi-auto.

If it ever came to it, this would be my SD gun: if not on my person, guns here need to be stored, unloaded. My carry gun is a snub and slower to load in an emergency and so not my first choice for SD.

My CZ 75 SP-01 could be in my hand and loaded in about 15 secs thanks to a loaded magazine stored in an easy place to reach.

This may seem slow to some but this aspect is not up for discussion.
It is what it is and it is the best I can do, if obeying the storage required by law.

The ammo, however, is an interesting point for me.
I can buy FMJ in 115gr, 124gr and 147gr. I forewent all of those and opted for 158gr Subsonics.

My rationale is that, given what members say is the advantage of .45ACP, the heavier bullet and slower velocity will give greater penetration. Meanwhile the subsonic nature would reduce the chances of substantial hearing damage for me, my wife or our child.
I also find these easier to control despite the heavier bullet weight.

Does this choice have merits?
Are there glaring disadvantages?

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; October 29, 2013 at 04:08 PM.

Page generated in 0.02006 seconds with 8 queries