View Single Post
Old July 24, 2000, 11:55 PM   #6
J. Parker

Three or four weeks ago The Discovery channel had it's Grizzies..Part Two..or whatever. It's been on before. The gentleman who was on it had been studying bears for something like thirty years. Of all the attacks (more than 100 I believe) he researched here were his findings- "bear" with me on this, memory and all. NON-LETHAL means of defense if attacked; curl up in the fetal position- a gentleman in his maybe mid fifties was interviewed- he had done this- his face was not a pretty sight. His face looked like something out of a horror movie. Pepper spray- an alternative if don't carry a firearm- Effective range 5 metre's (do you really want a grizzly within 5 metre's?) And you have to take into account the wind of course. I thought it odd he hadn't mentioned firearms up to this point. Well, there was a reason- the firearm is the end all. If you don't carry an appropriate firearm when in this animals habitat you are BELOW him in the food chain. If a firearm enters the picture you then become ABOVE him in the food chain. Haven't we evolved into the most intelligent creatures on earth? Then why in the heck would somebody venture into grizzly country with nothing more than pepper spray? If you're not into firearms STAY OUT OF GRIZZLY COUNTRY!!! The expert moderating the program told of some complete failures as far as pepper spray was concerned. Fatal at that.
I've remote camped for about twenty-eight years in the Sierra-Nevada's (calif.), Blue Mountains (SE Wash State), and the Cascades (central Wash State) and always followed bear camping etiquette. I've been face to face with two bears. Once, before I was "into" guns and once after. I felt alot better the second time!! When in bear country keep your awareness keen and carry at least a .44 magnum. My thoughts, J. Parker

Page generated in 0.04298 seconds with 8 queries