View Single Post
Old February 24, 2013, 10:22 AM   #9
hooligan1

150 grain E-Tip

Nosler, like Barnes also says that their bullet needs a jump to get it started into the rifling when the primer is struck.... On the other hand, I load the Barnes TTSX 130 grain bullets, only .010 of the lands, and it performs nicely.
The E-tip from nosler, that I'm testing is the 150 grain (.308) for my 30-06, and with these dudes I have them set right at .030 of the lands. My testing and load developement are still inconclusive at this moment.
I use the Comparator from Hornady, and find the measurement of all bullets that I load, for a given rifle, from there I start usually at .010 off the lands and test the powders, until I find the charge weight that it likes, Then I test OAL, until accuracy goes away, and comes back, and goes away, as I lenghten or shorten OAL, at .003 at a time.
I find that this method, For Me, is easy and effective.

Before I had the comparator, I would make up a "dummy" with a bullet and blacken it with a candle then chamber the "dummy", then slide it out and look for rifling marks, and adjust until desired lenght and accuracy are found.

Last edited by hooligan1; February 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM.

Page generated in 0.02549 seconds with 8 queries