View Single Post
Old December 14, 2010, 05:32 PM   #11
BP pistol hunter

A 44 or 45 cal good quality cap and ball pistol loaded with stout charges of 777 powder, a wad and ball have more than plenty of power to cleanly take deer and wild hogs out to 50 yards. I hunt in Florida with a stainless 1858 pietta bison revolver with a 12 inch barrel and I have chronographed 1200 fps out of my revolver with 35gr of 777 and a 141gr .454 ball. I have checked this with several of my friends chrony and it is an accurate reading. I invite you to chronograph this load and you will become a believer. This combo will produce 450 ftlbs of energy, it is extremely accurate out to 50 yards and has performed flawlessly. I have taken several nice wild hogs with this combo and none have gone more than 15 yards with most dead before they hit the ground. this load produces devastating impacts with massive wound channels due to the soft lead expanding and basically dumping all its energy on the target. 777 is a very powerful alternative to black powder but it does not liked to be compressed too much. I have loaded up to 40 gr of powder with an increase in power but accuracy starts falling off. 777 has boosted cap and ball revolvers to a whole new level.

Page generated in 0.03367 seconds with 8 queries