View Single Post
Old May 18, 2011, 11:57 AM   #1
LordTio3

Need Advice on Pre-LEO Training

Hey ladies and men, I've been away for a while but am returning with a vengeance. I have made the decision to pursue a career in law enforcement. I discussed this at length with my wife and family and have their full support. From some of them, I've received an overwhelming amount of support, which brings me here.

I have an Uncle who is by far the coolest man I know. He carries an xD40 every day as an armed citizen, and has had the opportunity to get a significant amount of professional training; which he highly advocates. So much so, that when he first heard about my decision, he told me that his gift to me this year would be to treat me to a 3-day training weekend at the Tactical Defense Institute in Ohio, in order to give me a leg up on the other guys (good and bad). Seminars, force on force, kill houses, defense scenarios, and a TON of shooting. Apparently we're going to work from the holster, like, a LOT; and our training group is advised to bring 1800 rounds of ammunition for 3 days. What a gift, right?

So, I come to my point. I've got a hefty shopping list to get through between now and then and I've come for some general advice. Below I've listed the things I'm looking at. If there is anyone out there who has other suggestions on alternatives, recommendations on where to buy, general advice about the training I may receive, comments about attitude/readiness/etc..., or just general contributions, I would really appreciate it.

Things I already have: (Glock 19 9mm, 3 factory Glock magazines, muffs, safety glasses, shooting gloves)

Shopping list (subject to change based on advice...)-
Tactical OWB holster (needed)-
Blackhawk Serpa Sportster ($30-35)-

Dual Magazine Rig (needed)-
Fobus Double Mag Pouch ($25)

Better Gun Belt (preferred)-
Open to suggestions between $30-$50.

Ka-Bar TDI (Tactical Defense Institute) (Will get anyway)-
Open to where to buy. ($30)

1800-2000 rounds of 9x19mm (no lead)-
Really not sure. I don't think they'll allow reloads. 115 gr of any reputable brand with a brass case would be acceptable. I've never bought ammo in this quantity before, so I'm looking for deals. ($250-400?)

Any advice at all would be appreciated very highly; about the trip, training, equipment, pricing, becoming an officer or anything else. Thanks in advance to all.

~LT

Page generated in 0.03231 seconds with 8 queries