View Single Post
Old September 11, 2009, 07:07 AM   #10
CGSteve8718

There is nothing wrong with Mitchell's if you are looking for a pretty shooter. However, his bashing of Mitchell's is not unwarranted. They outright mislead buyers (especially those new to the milsurp) game with their advertisements.

Like he said, any actual K98k rifles they have are removed of ALL collector value from their refurbishing it. Again, they also marketed Yugoslavian post war M48 rifles as being K98k rifles. They are two different rifles, both of Mauser action/design, but different nonetheless, and one had zero part in WWII.

Their rare/special stamped rifles? Yeah, gimme a break. Ask for a double SS rune rifle and they'll have someone in the back stamp one for you. Ask for a presentation grade Luger to Hitler himself and I'm sure they'll be able to find that for you as well.

That $350 beat up rifle from the gunshow actually has more value than the pretty Mitchell ever will. Get a Mitchell is you know what the deal is, but all of the above is true for new collectors.

There are many guys over at surplusrifleforum that have a lot more to say about them than I do. I don't consider myself that much of a cruffler, but I know enough to avoid Mitchell's.

Page generated in 0.02099 seconds with 8 queries