View Single Post
Old June 19, 2011, 07:05 PM   #307
Jeff22

suggestions for new shooters

I've shot in 1 IDPA classifier match, 2 USPSA special classifier matches, and a half dozen club level matches since the middle of May. A couple things I've noticed:

(1.) Practice strong hand only and weak hand only shooting. You may not ever need those skills in a defensive situation, but you almost certainly will need them when shooting in IDPA or IPSC/USPSA matches.

(2.) Learn how to recognize and clear malfunctions.

(3.) If you shoot on a range that is sandy, brush your magazines out after each stage.

(4.) You don't need a "death grip" on your handgun, even when shooting .357 mag or .45 ACP. You just need a firm grip. If you grip too tightly, it makes it difficult for you to work the trigger finger independently, and you'll bash or jerk the trigger as a result. A firm and consistant grip is what you want.

(5.) Consider getting active hearing protectors, the kind that muffle loud sounds and amplify quieter sounds. They are of great utility in helping you hear range commands, whether you're at a match or attending some kind of shooting class. Consider getting a "low profile" design that properly allows you to mount a rifle with the hearing protectors on.

(6.) If you wear ear plugs and hearing protectors BOTH, you will have problems hearing range commands and may be unsafe as a result. See #5 above.

(7.) Buy a good quality holster / mag pouch / belt combination. Buy cheap and buy twice. . . .

(8.) Buy a good quality bag to carry your stuff to the range in. It doesn't have to be one of the deluxe models with all the different compartments or integral gun cases or all that stuff, but it needs to be heavy duty, with heavy duty zippers and a good carrying strap.

(9.) If you reload your own ammunition, and you're new to the process of reloading, shoot generic factory ammo in matches and at training classes until you are absolutely certain that the quality control on your own loaded ammo is up to speed. I've seen LOTS of malfunctions this last month that were caused by ammo that wasn't resized or taper-crimped properly.

Page generated in 0.02248 seconds with 8 queries