View Single Post
Old April 23, 2012, 08:46 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

Father in law was big into the 17 Remington... I just couldn't get into that cartridge after I took over all his stuff... the 17 Remington guns just sat...

Lately I built a custom 17 Mach 2 ( 22 long rifle necked down to 17... commercial ammo available... barely ) I use it for shooting red pine squirrels & it's dropped more racoons out of trees this last year...

I have a 17 K Hornet Contender barrel, & while I load it, I don't like wasting bullets / powder & primers fire forming cases, after they were formed from 22 Hornet cases... I was happy to hear that Hornady was going to standardize the 17 Hornet, as I could just buy that ammo & fire form in my "improved" chamber...

I just bought a reamer for the 17 Fireball, my buddy & I will be building a couple Contender barrels in that chambering ( I'm looking forward to the much more durable brass in the fireball over the hornet case )... I'm hoping that I can take one of my FIL's old Remington 700's chambered in 17 Remington, & shorten the barrel / chamber & get it chambered in 17 Fireball ( I think that should be the most practical shooting cartridge of the 17 group )... though I do love my rim fire Mach 2... head shot a pidgon from 100 yards last time I shot that rifle

Page generated in 0.03355 seconds with 8 queries