View Single Post
Old January 27, 2011, 03:12 PM   #1
ThirdLane

Purchasing a firearm

Hello all, I am a new member with the intent of purchasing my very first handgun soon. I've been researching my options and I've narrowed my search down to Sig 250 40 cal subcompact and the Springfield Armory XD40. Anyway my question is the law regarding handgun purchase. I saw that persons convicted of a CDV (Criminal Domestic Violence) is barred from possessing handguns but it mentions nothing of people charged but non-convicted of CDV. I was arrested and charged with CDV in 2008 but since I was a 1st time offender, the court allowed me to enter into PTI (pre-trial intervention) and upon completion of the program the charges resulted in nolle prosequi. I haven't had the arrest expunged yet since I figured having the charge dismissed wouldn't affect me. Now after graduating from college and settling down with a family, I figured I would start looking at protection for my household and family. I do not want to go to make my purchase and have me turned down because of a charge of CDV, though it was dismissed. If anyone could provide the answers I would appreciate it. I've contacted the ATF and SLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) and the answers were vague. Thank you in advance. Also I would like to know what you guys think of my two choices.

Page generated in 0.02767 seconds with 8 queries