View Single Post
Old January 18, 2011, 12:48 PM   #1
RC48

Problem with a Winchester Model 97

After years of storage, I got my Model 97 Out of the Closet to break some clay birds. Although I didn"t remember ever having any previous problems with this gun, it would now occasionally fail to fire.

I noticed that on those occasions the carrier (the block that drops down from the bottom of the action when the action is cycled) had dropped down slightly. I assumed this allowed the action to come out of battery, thus preventing the gun from firing (thankfully).

As I was looking over the action, I noticed that when the action was initially closed it seemed to stay in battery until I apply even the slightest rearward force to the slide. At that point the carrier would move down slightly and the trigger is blocked (will not move rearward).

I found a reference to "the action unlock button" being used to unlock the action in the event the action needs to be opened without firing a chambered round. Could some malfunction related to this mechanism cause the problem that I'm experiencing? What other condition would allow the action to open under the condition that I have described?

Page generated in 0.02739 seconds with 8 queries