View Single Post
Old July 12, 2009, 12:26 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

moving to reloading forum....

and proper seating depth is all the way to the bottom of the pocket. If this is flush, fine. Slightly below flush, even better.

Although primers are all supposed to be the same size, I have found that certain brands seat "easier" then others. Also, some brands of brass seem "tighter". The first step is to change one component (either one, primers or brass) and see if the problem persists.

Can't help with your press, don't know it, sorry.

One thing I did (and this after more than 35 years of reloading) I went to a hand primer unit. I use the RCBS one today, and no longer use the press mounted systems at all. Yes, it is a bit of a hassle, and slowed down the "rounds per hour" count, starting with fired brass, but it gives me complete feel over the seating process. I can clearly feel when the primers bottom out in the pocket, and no extra force is used, preventing crushed primers. I used to use a progressive press, and found the lack of feel both for primer seating, but more importantly for bullet seating to result in damaged rounds. Now, I simple work on a batch process. All brass gets sized in one session. Then primed (by hand) in another session, after checking (and trimming as needed). Then in another session, I go on to finish loading the rounds. Works for me, and I reload for over 25 different rifle and pistol cartridges.

Page generated in 0.02530 seconds with 8 queries