View Single Post
Old December 2, 2000, 08:41 PM   #1
jbgood

FWIW… A few weeks ago, I had to cancel a morning deer hunt because my rifle’s action, barrel and detachable magazine were fouled with silica beads. The beads came from a ruptured packet that was placed inside my new Kolpin Scopetector case by the manufacturer. Upon inspection, I found two of these bags lodged deeply in the rubber nose of the case, probably shifted there during shipping and pushed deeper by the rifle barrel. The rifle barrel had punctured one of the bags. I was angry about this, of course, but thankful that I had discovered the situation prior to firing the rifle! I can only imagine what might have happened.

To satisfy myself that the silica gel packets came from the factory, I visited a local sporting goods store to check out some new Kolpin Scopetector cases. Sure enough, I found a packet in each new case. I immediately notified Kolpin (via e-mail) of my experience and concerns but have not heard back from them. I suggested to them that they post a warning on the outside of each case that instructed the buyer to thoroughly inspect the new case and to remove any gel packets prior to use. That was several weeks ago and I have not heard back from them.

To satisfy my own conscience, I thought that I would post this warning for other hunters/riflemen. As I said, I felt grateful that I had discovered the problem before firing the rifle. Had I not noticed a grinding sensation when closing the bolt on the round that I chambered (in the dark), I would not have known that the barrel was chocked full of beads and particles. I had inspected the barrel before putting it into the case the prior evening and would never have expected it of becoming fouled in a protective case!

Have a safe hunt,
jbgood

[Edited by jbgood on 12-05-2000 at 08:55 PM]

Page generated in 0.03324 seconds with 8 queries