View Single Post
Old October 21, 2008, 10:37 AM   #20
22-rimfire

Quote:
Current edition of the 4473 form indexes the background check to the sales record. They are gathering more and more information.
Are you sure about that? I understood that the only record was officially Form 4473 which is held by the dealer and is available to law enforcement (BATF) if the need is present. But it is a physical visit to the gun shop to inspect the books. Anyone have an BATFE friends who you might be able to ask specifically about their maintaining a database????

Quote:
The only problem with a huge database of all of you gun purchases is how does it get from the 4473 to the database? The 4473's stay with the FFL holder even if they didn't who is going to enter these thousands of 4473's?
I don't know if this is the case YET. But the way would get into such a database is via the NICs check where the model, caliber, serial number are supplied in the check. Dealers now complete a computer form which includes all relevant information and that is transmitted to the FBI for their instant background check. The information is in essence already in digital form now. There is also the call in type of NICs check such as you might see at gunshows.

Quote:
If you buy more than one handgun at once, the dealer fills out a multiple purchase form and you will speak to the ATF.
Not from my experience in terms of speaking to a BATF agent. I also think some of the dealers who I have purchased multiple firearms from (who know me) would have mentioned that an inquiry was made with regard to any of my purchases.

Page generated in 0.03496 seconds with 8 queries