View Single Post
Old December 2, 2008, 05:50 PM   #17
azredhawk44

Quote:
There are certain things, we simply should not fall back on.

One of those are the views of the Founders in regards to a standing Army, given the world today. You can not seriously expect the U.S. to survive in todays political and economic climate, if we relied solely upon the isolationist theories of the Founders. We are far too dependent upon the rest of the world to not have a standing Army.
Isolationism works for Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, the majority of Europe in fact.

Seems to do alright for Mexico and Canada, too.

I have serious contentions with anyone who things the PRIMARY function of the US Government is to safeguard our status as the pre-eminent economic superpower of the world. While the Constitution does empower Congress with certain powers to regulate the US economy, Congress has never been deliberately tasked with such duties as regulating interest rates for the mortgage industry or babysitting the daily fluxuation of the DJIA or the seasonal shifts in the values of commodities.

Read those founding documents. You won't find a lot of concern over trade route maintenance, reciprocal tarriffs, unpredictable values for shares of stock, commodity price fixing or equal opportunity loans. What you will find is complaints against Imperial governments that use their military force to coerce remote subjects into participating in an economic scheme they otherwise would avoid.

ETA: I have no problem with having the biggest, baddest most nukular guns on the block. Teach our soldiers to use 'em well and drill them to blow attackers straight to H-E-doublehockeysticks. Big ships, big bombs, fast planes, invisible subs, all that stuff. Heck, even patrol international waters and use those cool nukular guns on pirates and their ilk. Every nation should do a bit of deep sea fishing using pirate chum for bait.

Big nukular guns keep China, Russia, or the threat of the day off our back. Yay. I understand that a bunch of hunters with .30-06 Model 70 Winchesters may not get the same point across.

I've just had it with imperialism. Let the shiftyeyedbastards in the middle east play games with the cost of oil. We'll leave them in the stone age when we move past oil technologically. Their loss.

Same thing with Africa. To heck with Africa. We fixed ourselves. They can fix themselves.

Last edited by azredhawk44; December 2, 2008 at 05:56 PM.

Page generated in 0.02413 seconds with 8 queries