View Single Post
Old November 2, 2008, 10:35 PM   #19
rbb50

I just make my own

I never could find anyone that makes a good high-powered bolt-action pistol so I just made my own.

This is the latest custom bolt-action pistol I made from a 7.7mm Model99 Japanese rifle and it came out very nice.

http://raybb.com/pistol14.jpg

I'm still working up loadings for it but today I had very good luck with some I had already worked up this weekend for the Sierra soft point 125, 150 and 180-grain bullets.

All had fantastic groups considering I'm shooting with open sights at 50 yards and better than some people with scopes at that range LOL

Ok so they were newbies I still shot better than them with my open sights than they did with scopes LOL

I use the H4831 only because I got 2 pounds of it for free from a friend but now I will work up some loads in accurate 4350 as I did for my 7.7mm Model 99 Japanese rifle I also customized into a rifle sported stock this year of which shoots one hole groups through the bulls-eye at 100 yards

Of course having a 4-16 power scope on the rifle sure helps with that also.

Someday I might invest in a long relief scope for my little custom pistol but for now just shooting a pistol that powerful was a whole lot of fun for me and everyone that got to take a look at it or shoot it while I was there today.

Next I'm thinking about building a 7mm magnum pistol, which I think will be even more fun.

Did I mention I have a really strong grip and these things are not for people with weak wrist?

Ok yeah now I did LOL

Guess I’m lucky I know how to make stuff like that because as far as I could tell no one else makes them at all besides Thompson contender of which they want an arm and a leg for.

Total cost to make my 7.7mm pistol was that I got the action and receiver for free at a garage sale, I got the bolt for $70 at the gun show, and the sights cost $18 at academy then of course about 2 months of work in my spare time added up to no telling how many hours that turned out to be well worth them all anyway.

I am probably the only person on earth that has a 7.7mm bolt-action pistol now and I’m sure if I make a 7mm magnum it may be the only one around also.

What ever happen to all of them old folks in the old gun magazines like Elmer Keith trying to develop the most powerful handgun loads??

Guess I will have to fill in for old Elmer for a while and make some of my own stuff to bring back some power in pistols the likes of which no one has ever seen before.

I’m even thinking about 7mm WSM and a 300 WSM version later on.

Nothing like having a powerful pistol and blowing holes through the bulls-eye at the rifle range on a weekend and having people gathering around saying stuff like, “Wow that is one cool pistol”.

Page generated in 0.06978 seconds with 8 queries