View Single Post
Old June 27, 2013, 11:27 PM   #9
Frank Ettin
Staff

I do a press check when I first put my gun on because (1) better safe; and (2) why not.

Here's how I do a press check without looking:
  1. Follow rule THREE and keep your finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard. 

2. With the weak hand, grasps the slide with the thumb and middle finger on the REAR serrations and the index finger resting on the barrel hood.

3. Pull the slide back slightly. Something between a quarter and a half and inch should do it.

4. Allow the index finger to drop down into the space between the end of the barrel hood and the breech face. If there was a round in the chamber, you will feel it.

Most of my training has been to shoot as long as you need to, until slide lock if necessary, and then do a speed reload. Louis Awerbuck specifically teaches that. A tactical or administrative reload is a luxury reserved for when things have quieted down.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.03076 seconds with 8 queries