View Single Post
Old June 27, 2013, 02:10 PM   #6
csmsss

Quote:
I dunno about that being such a good idea. .308 in an urban environment or on the "street" is going to be doing a lot more over-penetration than both the 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 rifles as the OP has shown. 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 will defeat up to and including a level IIIA vest and be able to penetrate most obstructions/barriers you'd feel comfortable shooting through. Not to mention the recoil will be much easier to handle than .308 especially if making multiple rapid shots. If the adversaries are wearing anything more than what those two calibers can handle such as level III or IV vests then its time to tell the patrol officers to back off and call the military or at the very least the tac team because if they have those then they probably have big guns in their hands too. IMO a semi-auto .308 for a "patrol" rifle? No. For a LE Sniper? Sure
I don't believe in such a notion as "overpenetration" - either you hit your target or you do not. And there are plenty of vests which completely defeat .223 or slow it down more than enough to vastly reduce it's effectiveness, which is entirely based on velocity. Since it's MY rifle, and I find the weight of an AR-10 completely manageable and the recoil insignificant, those aren't even factors.

Moreover, how do I know in advance I'll have the opportunity to "back off" and call and wait for help?

No...I'll stick with the AR-10 platform if I'm getting to build my own "patrol rifle".

Page generated in 0.02784 seconds with 8 queries