View Single Post
Old January 13, 2012, 12:11 AM   #23
Roscoe54

VWFool, thanks for the info...

I appreciate your input. I gather you acquired a 38 with an intact mum that was already sporterized? I would have gone for a full restoration on that one most likely, only because the mums are rare and collectible, then sold it to a collector for enough bucks to buy an action that's better-suited to what I want. Mine has a missing mum but the bluing is around 85% and the bore is excellent, which is why I'm looking into other 6.5mm calibers.

As you mentioned, I already have other Swedes and want something else, though I'm a champion of this caliber (6.5x55 Swedes were used in Olympic competition through the 50's I'm told in Nordic skiing/shooting events and now it's all .22 rimfire). I've got a perfect stock M96, a perfect stock M38 Carbine, a pair of good Husqvarna actions and three Huskvarna-proofed in-the-white fully-threaded factory barrels that achieve match headspacing without any metal removal (1/16-turn past the index mark). Also an un-issued 1955 AG-42B Ljungman semi-auto. I have Timney triggers and some other after-market goodies on hand for the Swedes and the Arisaka, all I have to decide on is rechambering or rebarreling. I just don't need to build an Arisaka Swede (with different receiver and wood) when I already own accurate 6.5mm's from SWEDEN that I'd like to sell, 3 or 4 of 'em.

The whole point of this project is a long range tack driller with minimal expense based on the massively-overbuilt Arisaka 38 action...unlike small ring Mauser actions the Arisaka has been chambered for 458 Magnum successfully and no one has succeeded in blowing up the receiver no matter how hard they tried (there's lottsa stuff on the web about the strength of this action).

In my immediate future I can stay busy building a pair of match-quality Swedes with original receivers/barrels and after-market triggers, bolt shrouds, springs, stocks etc. with parts I've picked up over 15 years. I'll likely lay the Arisaka aside for the time being, hopefully I'll trip over parts for modification or trade as time goes by.

I like hearing from someone with hands-on experience rather than theoretical rattling...Thanks for the contribution, I'll look at your caliber suggestions!

Page generated in 0.04028 seconds with 8 queries