View Single Post
Old September 18, 1999, 03:01 AM   #11
Sportster

Would'nt it work using a digital scale to check finished bullet weights as a extra step to reduce the chances of a double charge? I use 10.6 grains of AA#7 on my 357 Sig reloads,so not only would a double charge fill the case disproportionately,but would also show up as a 10.6 grain differential when weighing the bullet. But with this cartridge,bullet setback is probably the thing to really watch out for. I'm gonna try checking each bullets weight,just to see what I get. I use a Lee progressive that gets hung up now and then. And being human,theres no guarantee ever that a double did'nt 'sneak' through the gates,so I'm gonna try checking it this way.
Theres lots to remember when reloading. I never checked for bullet set back when I reloaded 45,or 9mm,but now am going to. It would be wise to make a list to use when reloading stating things like check OAL and verify with book,verify powder and powder grains,check case integrity,verify bullet is correct for caliber and its weight AND type-FMJ or lead-and verify correct powder amt for type, check a few rounds in gun chamber for sizing to ensure they don't get STUCK! , do the thumb pressure test for setback(I use the edge of my bench! ) and chamber a few a couple times to ensure no setback,I'm adding the weigh bullets in scale thingy. And very important- DON'T load a ton of ammo WITHOUT test firing at range in the pistol(s) you'll fire them in! You may find the suckers are too weak,too strong,not accurate enough,etc etc. I'll load maybe 20-30 rounds,take them to the range to test fire,if ok-THEN I make a bunch of them. Otherwise,as one stated here,you're screwed and stuck with ammo that is either no good or in need of group adjustments,such as OAL which I had to do with some loads I made in Sig- a reeeeal pain in the .......
But the most important thing to remember- DON'T load while tired,sleepy,drunk,drugged,distracted or in any shape that won't allow FULL attention to the details!!!!!!!!!!

Page generated in 0.03312 seconds with 8 queries