View Single Post
Old February 21, 2002, 08:01 PM   #7
Bottom Gun

Don't give up on the gun shows. Granted, they have changed quite a bit in the 35 years I've been attending and exhibiting at them, but they are still good opportunities to find smoking deals.

For instance, I was able to sell a gun at a profit and buy one at a good price in the last couple shows I attended. For example, two months ago, I bought a NIB S&W Mod 66 with accessories for $315 from an exhibitor's private collection. That's much less than I would have spent in a gun shop.

The shows are also an excellent place to buy parts, accessories, reloading components, leather, and ammo.

You have to do your homework beforehand though because there are some high prices there as well so you need to know what you're looking at.

If you're looking for deals, try going late in the afternoon on the last day of the show. You won't have as large a selection then, but the dealers will be more apt to cut you a deal if they seriously want to sell something.

You shouldn't get excited or be insulting if something you crave is priced too high.
If I see something I want but feel the price is too high and the guy won't come down on it, I'll write the model of the gun and the price I'm willing to pay for it on one of my cards and I'll leave the card with him and ask him to call me if he changes his mind. I've acquired several nice firearms that way.

So don't give up on shows, but go in with an open mind, ignore the flea market stuff, and be friendly. Make it a pleasant experience and enjoy yourself. Talk to the dealers. You can learn a lot there too. I always come away from a show a little wiser.

Just my two cents.

Page generated in 0.03043 seconds with 8 queries