View Single Post
Old August 9, 2010, 11:47 AM   #39
rburch

Quote:
If someone has the drop on you. You've failed at situational awareness, you've lost the draw. I'm not suggesting that your helpless... But you are in deep doo-doo. What can one do in such a situation? Suggestions?

Glenn Dee
Quote:
The training I have has taught us to move off the line of fire (and not just the one or two side-steps, either) while drawing and then returning fire, escaping through a door, or whatever it takes to avoid being shot.
I agree with the idea of movement, a large step to the side forces the "Bad Guy" to adjust his aim before he can shoot you. It takes time for him to do so, which give you time to act.

I've never had the chance to test the idea in formal force on force training, but it has worked effectively in both paintball and airsoft when I was younger.

More recently it worked to amazing effect in a situation involving my 10 year old cousin, a 20 round drum fed nerf pump action, and a single shot nerf pistol.

Multiple side steps were able to keep him from making a shot until I had a chance to take mine. Though I doubt you can draw any meaningful conclusions from that senario (except that my cousin doesn't like fair fights)

In any case, if someone has the drop on you, you're pretty much screwed. Moving off the line may give you enough time to make up the difference.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Page generated in 0.03618 seconds with 8 queries