View Single Post
Old January 22, 2010, 09:01 AM   #2
jmr40

Most of the sub $250 stocks probably won't be much, if any better than what you have. I have 2 rifles that came with the Hogue stock. I have a replacement ordered for 1 and the other will be replaced ASAP. For target shooting and no hunting they may be OK. Especially with the aluminum block. They are heavy. Mine weigh 3 lbs or so and are just pillar bedded. I would imagine the aluminum block would weigh even more. I love the Hogue on my 10-22 however. It is just too much on the centerfires in my opinion.

I've had bad experiences with the quality of Bell and Carlson as well, but they make one of the Medalist stocks for the Howa. The Bell and Carlson Medalist seems to be a decent stock for the money, but the one I ordered did not come close to fitting my rifle.

If HS Precision makes a stock for the rifle I would look that way 1st. At around $350 they are over your budget, but are much better in my experience and worth the extra money. Not sure if they offer one for the Howa however.

McMillan makes probably the best stock, and I know they offer one for the Howa, but at around $450 are getting pricey.

Page generated in 0.02159 seconds with 8 queries