View Single Post
Old January 20, 2006, 03:13 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

The electronic scales are sensitive to temperature in a couple of ways. The displays are probably only narrow temperature band devices and will become difficult to read at low temperature. The strain gauge load cell is sensitive to changes in temperature, so the readings will drift as temperature changes. You can constantly recalibrate in an unstble temperature environment, but it is a nuisance. Some of the electronics may use the consumer grade specification of, which stops at the freezing point of water. They may work below that point, but it isn't guaranteed. The adhesives that attach the gauges to the load cell may embrittle if they get too cold, which endangers the scale as well as affecting its readings.

I would expect you may enounter embrittlement of various plastic parts. Unplasticized polypropylene, for example, has a glass transition point of somewhere around 40°F. Styrenes need plasticizers to survive low temperatures, too. I would watch out for powder hoppers and Lee die boxes to crack in the cold.

Beyond that, I don't know of a problem. Press lubrication will get stiff, so you need to watch that you can feel problems, like primer jamb-ups? Case lube may get stiffer, too, so make sure you don't get a case stuck.

Nick

Page generated in 0.03316 seconds with 8 queries