View Single Post
Old March 15, 2005, 10:09 PM   #14
Dwight55

Kennybs wrote: "They know right from wrong, how to use a firearm and I'm sure they will do the right thing if it should be required at that time."

For your children's sake, . . . I hope you are correct.

Unfortunately, it has been very aptly demonstrated in every hot war ever fought that:

1) some have the mindset to survive by making that other soldier die for his cause

2) some have the mindset that if they hide deep enough and long enough, someone will probably rescue them

3) some have the mindset that they haven't a clue of what to do, so instead of "reacting" they have to stop, . . . think, . . . analyze, . . . debate, . . . and finally decide. They result is that they wind up dead, raped, robbed, shot, mugged, vandalized, folded, spindled, and mutilated while going through the mental process.

Yes, . . . very few "scenarios" actually work out to be even near a real event, . . . but it still will develop "reaction muscle memory", . . . it still gives the person an option other than being a victim, . . . and it gives the person a certain confidence that alone is sometimes the difference between living and dying.

Ask a combat vet about his training, . . . was his teenage hunting experiences enough, . . . he'll probably laugh in your face if he actually saw and lived through a fire fight or two.

I'll say it for Jungle Work and others, . . . there is absolutely no substitute for training, . . . if all a person can do is scenarioize, . . . that is still better than nothing, . . . at least it might help develop the "1)" mindset that will keep him or her alive.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!

Page generated in 0.03231 seconds with 8 queries