View Single Post
Old April 23, 2000, 11:10 AM   #12
Mike / Tx

From what I gathered from the ad, is that during the development stage they were useing the bronze bullets. Possibly to find out what the top velocity could be without destroying the bullet in flight. With these velocities and normal bullets this would not be possible.

With the lower velocities listed for the different factory bullets listed this would be a really flat shooting varmit rig under 200 or more yds and I would think the varmits could be anything short of Elk.(G)

I personally can't see the need for such a round unless you are shooting further than you need to be in the first place, or had more money than you have places to put it.

As for the barrel wear, I would thing that the throat erosion and fouling would be horrible. But then I don't know all of the info on the barrels and twist. I do know that factory bullets would be softer than the bronze simply due to their construction but this might probably add to the fouling for the same reason.

It was bound to happen sooner or later that someone would be producing necked down versions of the 50 BMG and offering them as hunting rounds. I think that this is way on the extreem side personally and would rather have a short 50 yd shot that was a planned and executed stalk rather than a 500+ yd. pop shot.

Page generated in 0.02755 seconds with 8 queries