View Single Post
Old April 19, 2013, 01:13 PM   #1
BarryLee

Executive Powers & Mental Health

After recent failures of restrictive gun legislation Mr. Obama is now moving to use executive powers to restrict access to guns for mental health reasons. Currently individuals who meet certain criteria related to mental health are supposed to be reported to the NICS and currently 17 states do not participate as required. Much of the resistance to reporting comes from concerns about privacy requirement related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act or HIPPA.

So, Mr. Obama wants to clarify what the law requires and make reporting easier - which sounds good. I suppose I am a little concerned as we hear stories related to Veterans being added to NICS who do not meet the normal criteria. I realize that Mr. Obama cannot make new laws here, but I hope the actions do not lead to abuses of personal freedom and loss of due process.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...est=latestnews
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman

Page generated in 0.02687 seconds with 8 queries