View Single Post
Old April 7, 2012, 10:42 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

Rem's Heavy Density Pellets vs Buckshot Lead Pellets

I do not want to start just another what is the best HD ammo thread, but wish some info on the so called "heavy density" Tungsten-Bronze-Iron Pellets used in Remington's HD Ultimate Home Defense shotshells; specifically 12 gauge. They are advertised as "even heavier than standard lead pellets and retain higher energy for greater stopping power."

Here is a Chyck Hawks article on it. http://www.chuckhawks.com/remington_...shotshells.htm
It seems to say that the Wingmaster pellets are about 10% denser than lead shot.

Per this one http://gunnuts.net/2009/09/08/new-hd...rom-remington/ theh pellets are the same as those in the Wingmaster HD hunitng loads.

My guess is that, given that the pellets are 10% denser than regular shot, the BB size pellets with a diameter of 4.57 mm should have about the same weight as a bit of lead shot with a diameter of 5.03 mm. #4 Buck has a nominal diameter of 6.00 mm.

Some suggest that instead of using Remmie's HD Ultimate you should use the Wingmaster HD shells, which cost much less. I got my HD Ultimate at half off so the price differential isn't much.

I also note that the Wingmaster HD only comes in 3" and 3-1/2" and that they have a greater velocity which may negate their use for HD in urban areas and residences shared with other occupants. (HD ULtimate has a velocity of 1250 FPS and Wingmaser HD's is 1325 FPS. Both hold 1-1/4 ounce of pellets.)

I might add that I wanted defense ammuntion that could be used in my 870, which is chambered for 3", and my Skeet gun chambered for 2-3/4". I also didn't mind paying a few cents extra for the Home Defense label, which may be important should a situation ever arise.

In sum, it seems to me that Remington's HD Ultimate Home Defense ammo should penetrate deeper than the typical birdshot that some advocate for HD, say #4 or #6 birdshot, but it should have less penetration than the smallest buckshot; #4 Buckshot, not to be confused with #4 birdshot.

Do I have things about right?

Last edited by TheKlawMan; April 7, 2012 at 11:35 PM.

Page generated in 0.02452 seconds with 8 queries