View Single Post
Old April 17, 2000, 01:23 AM   #12
Cheapo

Mr. Graham:

Most of the U.S. grunts in WWII, according to my fairly reliable sources (including 1960s published reports) were issued 100% AP bulleted enblock clips, most of the time.

Seems the reason was from two factors: the combination of steel for a large portion of the core (cheaper material than fully lead cores);
and a military doctrine/experience calling for an ability to disable vehicles and light-armor targets.

The non-BTs were probably .30-06 M2 Ball, which have a less ballistically efficient shape than the 7.62mm 147-gr BT. The channelure on the 150-gr M2 also results in too-long rounds if loaded in 7.72 cases.

Accuracy: I can always get 3 MOA out of the US (NOT any foreign stuff) ball bullets, whether pulled or shiny-new. With M72/Match (same non-channelure bullet used in both .30-06 and 7.62), I can always get 2 MOA or better. This is from a US military semiauto design. I've seen many reports of 3/4 to 1 MOA performance from these, out of bolt guns with various degrees of "match" dimensions in chamber and bore.

There was no true "National Match" or NM ammo made with 147-gr FMJBTs. Some selected lots of .30-06 150-gr M2 Ball were issued at Camp Perry's National Matches in distant years past, but this ammp was identified by post-facto testing, not special production.

Does anyone know if any other country devoted similar efforts toward making match-grade ammo available to their military units? It would be interesting to know how they fared, compared to the U.S....

Page generated in 0.02621 seconds with 8 queries