View Single Post
Old July 29, 2014, 02:37 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

A ruptured case extractor only works if the head of the case is torn off. What you are describing is the extractor hook tearing through the case rim, with is a different situation.

Putting a rod down the muzzle will not destroy your rifle, or damage the barrel crown, provided you use something softer than steel, and not carrying embedded grit that could act like valve grinding compound.

Damage to the barrel comes from cleaning (particularly with a steel rod) rubbing against the rifling. For cleaning from the muzzle, get a "bore guide" that centers the rod in the barrel, preventing it from rubbing on the rifling.

Running a rod, even a steel one down the bore once, to pop out a stuck case is highly unlikely to cause any damage.

My best guess would be the ammo. Steel cased ammo usually has some kind of coating on the case, usually a lacquer, to prevent rust on the steel case.

It varies with the maker, and I understand improvements have been made in the coating, but what can happen is the lacquer can build up in the chamber, to the point where a fired case sitcks, and the extractor either pops off, or tears through the rim when the action opens.

We have discussed (even argued) about steel cased ammo on the forum a lot. Some have never had any issues with it in their guns, others have had problems, even breakage. Some brands of steel cased ammo are well thought of, others not so much.

My advice is clean your rifle thoroughly, particularly the chamber, and then stop using that particular ammo. I know its the cheapest stuff, but sometimes, you do get what you pay for, or rather, don't get what you aren't paying for.

Its a judgment call, if you only get the occasional stuck case, is it worth the "savings" over more expensive ammo? Your call.

just FYI, I'm a dedicated reloader, and I don't shoot steel cased ammo, because for me, the brass case (reloadable) is worth the extra cost.

Page generated in 0.03862 seconds with 8 queries