View Single Post
Old February 22, 2014, 02:43 PM   #8
riverratt

I am asking about the 9mm capabilities in a sub-compact platform. I understand shot placement is key and i am extremely comfortable with a .45 as they are the only simi-auto i have ever owned.

I have done several test on wetpack with several hp bullets out of both my fuell size 1911 and my ruger ( think its a touch under a 4'' barrel but dont remember for sure). My test show a vast differance in expantion on the bullets between the two. I understand that reduced barrel length means less velosity and thus less expantion.

I am conserned that a .45 in something like a 3'' barrel wont reliably expand unless i use a +p round and a lighter bullet. i was thinking the 9mm being a higher velosity round would produce better terminal results in the shorter barrel.

This gun will be for cc use. I am a firm believer that a .45 beats a 9mm if in the hands of a compitent shooter and both preform as designed, but if the 9mm will expand where a .45 wont with less recoil and quicker followups well 9mm wins.

The original question was if anyone has done simular test rather wetpack or gel with the short barrel 9mm or .45 in standard pressure loads not +p. I feel you need to practice with what you shoot and im not going to practice with a +p. Thats why i emfasizeon the standard pressure loads.

Page generated in 0.02620 seconds with 8 queries