View Single Post
Old June 28, 2000, 05:05 PM   #36
Skorzeny

jetrecbn1:

You lucky dog! I have been meaning to train with Roy Harris, but haven't had a chance. I am planning to be in San Diego in a few months and will most definitely try to get some private lessons with him. His website, IMHO, is the most balanced, informative and useful one for those who are interested in martial arts for self-defense.

Spectre:

I guess we will have to disagree, indeed! However, I would like you to consider why Koryu Bujutsu "went out of style."

In the first place, Bujutsu, as a whole, is not the most efficient, scientific method of learning martial arts. All of us really owe a debt to Kano Jigoro (founder of Kodokan Judo) for marrying the Western scientific principles and Eastern martial techniques and creating the first modern system of martial art.

Before Kano, Bujutsu (or what remained of it) was not trained in a systematic, scientific fashion based on an efficient curriculum, nor were they practiced in Randori.

I could go on, but I would bore everyone to death... In any case, please consider why Koryu Bujutsu went out of style (before the Age of Mass Media, obviously since movies and TV often affect what people study nowadays, rather than "effectiveness" per se).

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Page generated in 0.02509 seconds with 8 queries