View Single Post
Old January 12, 2013, 09:29 PM   #22
davery25

So after searching and searching I failed to find bottom metal for the win70 action mentioned above. The closest I managed to get is an engineering company offering to make one for me for some astronomical cost.

On Friday i came across a full Winchester m70 (it's well and truly post 64 for those getting excited) in 270 winchester. The bore is pitted but the woodwork and action are in excellent condition which is what i was after.

In Australia m70s are usually at least $550 for a short action and $800 - $1000 for long actions in good bore condion but these usually always have bad woodwork and worn bluing. Managed to get this one for $395. I think i did alright anyway.

Now the fun begins! The rough plan is (in this order):

- Rework the trigger at home to break clean and crisply. Ideally i want to rework the original trigger instead of buying a timney but if it comes to that then i'll do that down the line.

- Rebarrel with a target quality 21.75" barrel and in doing so convert from 270 winchester to 30-06. I want to have the barrel cut in an octagonal shape. The stock will have to be reshaped to accommodate for this - but i still haven't decided whether to go with a heavy barrel or a lighter one so i don't know whether to free float the barrel (heavy) or glass bed it all the way through to the end (lighter profile barrel)

Does anyone know whether getting the barrel cut in an octagonal profile will hurt accuracy or perhaps cause stressing of the barrel. It's a question ill ask the smith but i figure id ask here too.

And the other thing - with Jack O'Connor going on about the Win70 in 270 - is the rifle likely to hold it's value more if it's kept in 270 or would 30-06 not hurt things too much?

Page generated in 0.02865 seconds with 8 queries