View Single Post
Old August 20, 2012, 09:10 AM   #10
GJack

Thanks FL VET. (Pensacola is my hometown!)

I am a dyed in the wool 41 fan. My late uncle was a Sheriff's Deputy, competitive shooter and close friend of Bill Jordan and Elmer Keith. He had the magnificent Model 57 and a Model 25. They were the first guns I ever shot as a preteen. I remember watching my uncle hold a 12 gauge shotgun under his right arm, roll out his arm to shoulder level, drop the shotgun, draw his revolver and fire one round "point shooting style," holster and CATCH the shotgun before it hit the ground. I was there the day he could no longer do it as the hand of time caught up to his reflexes. It was the only time I EVER saw tears well up in his eyes and he was a big, big man. At 6'4" and about 290, he was my idol.

He passed away in 90s and sadly, his firearms collection went to fractured family members who had absolutely no interest, appreciation or respect for the historical aspects of his broad collection. I later learned that many of them were later sold for quick cash.

However, I will never forget holding that piece of cold steel in my hands with the beautiful blue lustre gleaming in the southern sun. The feel of confidence and awe of the 41 cracking the silence of an early morning and the smell of gunsmoke in the air mixed with the familiar smell of his pipe and his broad toothed grin as he taught me his craft. I later went on to become a pistol master and the military further honed my skills (I'll leave it at that.) However, it all started because a true American hero took the time to instill in a young man the importance, responsibility and appreciation of firearms.

To own a 41 again would be the culmination of all that I have done and bring me full circle to middle age. At 47, I now approach retirement and find myself with a grandson of my own now. Yes, he thinks I'm cock of the rock too.

Page generated in 0.02642 seconds with 8 queries