View Single Post
Old April 1, 2011, 10:24 AM   #41
Woodyed

Hi Frankenmauser,
I also will try to construct my posts so that you can read them. Would like you to join in as I'm sure you could add much info to the discussions.

Hi Willy,
Here's my take on the Marlin lever action 30-30 for your son. I would be very leery of the 30-30 caliber and I have 2 reasons. First one is knock down power and second is the effective range of a 30-30, which is usually under 200 yards. I might add also, that up in Vermont Moose are gaining a very good foothold and this State and might just open a season on them if they haven't already. In case this does happen I think your son would be better equiped with a larger caliber than a 30-30. If it's a lever action he wants I would look at Marlins 336 in 35 caliber at the minimum or maybe even the 308MX or 338MX. These calibers would have much more punch, penetration, and knock-down power than a 30-30 in case he got a shot at a Moose.

I have some friends that live in Maine and they hunt Moose almost every year. Several of them swear by the 30-06's and a couple of them have always used Marlins 338MXLR's in 338 Marlin express caliber. None of them have missed getting their Moose and they praise the guns and calibers that they are using. Can't argue with success. I might add that several of them have taken black bears with their guns as well.

Well, this is just my outlook on you getting your son a lever action rifle in 30-30 caliber and you might not agree with anything I've said, but here it is anyway. Good luck on whatever you choose.

Page generated in 0.02844 seconds with 8 queries