View Single Post
Old August 8, 2006, 12:58 AM   #23
FlatSquirrel

Several comments were made by an esteemed member who tells us that stick fighting requires a fancy foreign name, apparently to highlight its' serious nature as a form of self defense. I will accept that assertion as I know nothing about sticks. Perhaps someone knows a circumspect samurai (sorry about the redundancy) who can speak to this matter.

Quote: "No Cop will EVER give you grief about carrying non-lethal spray."
I do know a bit about various laws governing OC in some states, and have serious doubts about the writer's veracity in regard to how police will react to the civilian use of OC, depending on the jurisdiction.

I must wholeheartedly agree with, and suggest that the writer observe his suggestion: "Don't go off half-cocked!" This is especially apparent with the commentary: [Quote] "A can of Pepper Spray works like a GUN! It's reasonably easy to use: Just push the button, and try not to get in the way of the little hole!"

While the following commentary was amusing, the concept offered, remains.

It is surprising that a proponent of the viability of stick fighting for self defense, by well trained users, wouldn't see the same need for at least some minimal training for using sprays for SD. Simply observe the police oriented reality shows which are common on TV. Even trained policemen screw up the use of sprays.

During a period of personal foolishness, I worked in the Administrative Segregation and High Security units of a maximum security prison. These were the highest levels of hazardous prisoners in the State. OC was used rather frequently, and I have examined it's effects on prisoners, and have been "gassed" a number of times. On people like me, OC is absolutely debilitating, and rapidly so.

The bad news: I'm not a criminal, and if you use OC, you better pray that your target is as big a weenie as I am. There is an amazing number of people who are astoundingly dangerous, and absolutely immune to the effects of OC. A "GUN" it ain't.

These individuals are not rare. They are not psychotic, and not under the influence of anything except the desire to victimize/kill human beings and often, animals. Trust me on this: A normal person cannot imagine or comprehend the depravity of these people. It is not possible for a normal mind to function, even by imagination, in the manner exhibited by these criminals.

The professional grade OC was delivered from canisters like you see for bear defense, and ironically, resembled fire extinguishers. I have seen many men painted brown and wet from head to toe with OC and not have so much as blepharospasm, the uncontrollable spasmodic closing of the eyelids that "regular" people experience. One multiple murderer stood in the hall, painted brown, and wet with OC, slashing with his shiv and demanding that the security team come and take him on. They did, with a 37mm canister of CS fired from a tear gas type gun. This combination worked every time I saw it used.

I must agree with Kas on his recommendation of using a combination spray if you choose a spray for SD. OC/CS or OC/CN would seem to be superior. Personally, I have seen a few people who react minimally to CN, so my preference, and the one I carry is OC/CS. CS is unimaginably debilitating to most people. I say most, simply because I suspect that somewhere, there is a dirtbag that is immune to this, too. I don't carry spray alone, for this reason.

Depending on your circumstances, I'd suggest at least having good running shoes as a backup, because even the immune folks get extremely testy and belligerent when sprayed. Failing that, consider carrying something more definitive, and face the music, if necessary, but face it alive.

FS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The common good comes before the private good — Nazi slogan

We must stop thinking of the individual and start thinking about what is best for society.
— Hillary Clinton

"If you want assault rifles, join the army. We have lots of them."
- General Wesley Clark (proponent of personal weapon bans.)

"Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA. Ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State." - Heinrich Himmler

Page generated in 0.03637 seconds with 8 queries