View Single Post
Old May 29, 2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Tickling

Defense against vehicles?

I stumbled across a link here at TFL awhile ago on the subject of cars versus bullets.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/thebuickotruth.htm

I would like to preface the following situation by saying that in no way do I think it justifies the use of force at all. It merely got me thinking.

I had never really given the subject of vehicle-defense much thought until this weekend when I had an encounter with an intoxicated driver. My girlfriend and I were walking along a crowded main-street, started to cross in a cross-walk and were a third of the way across when a vehicle "stops" right in front of us. And then in apparent anger, the driver revved his engine extremely loudly. Now understand, traffic was crawling and the vehicle in question was a good 1/8th of a mile away when we started across.

Nothing came of it besides a slightly scared girlfriend. I can understand the drivers annoyance, many people were crossing (jaywalking?), and he looked like he had had a few beers.

So I have two questions,

1. First, in this situation obviously no force was warranted, but say it had escalated and a person was trying to run you down with a car. Is shooting at a car ever a good idea? According to the above link, it's an iffy proposition to begin with. And you have a high likelihood of ricocheting bullets going all over the place. How would you respond if on foot, and escape was not an option in the long run? (I could only find one case involving a defense shooting vs. car but I am sure there are more. Here: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/Ohio-...n-self-defense)

2. My second question is directed at the law scholars here at TFL, I did some research and it seems that "revving" your engine at a pedestrian can get you saddled with assault charges or even an assault with a deadly weapon charge. Can anyone confirm this? I can't see myself ever doing it, but would like to know.

I apologize if this post is in the wrong place, or has already been addressed. I did a search and found nothing.

Page generated in 0.02800 seconds with 8 queries