View Single Post
Old November 9, 2012, 02:26 PM   #16
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamfire
I consider neck sizing or partial neck sizing to be sloppy reloading practices and your experience shows it.

I do not know why your cases come out after firing but I am of the belief that given enough neck sizing cycles, it will take a cleaning rod and a block of wood to get them out of the chamber. I think this will happen because of the inability of brass to spring back as much when it work hardens.

I full length resize everything, I use cartridge case headspace gages in setting up my dies, (I also headspace my rifles, most of them at least) and if the rifle headspace is between Go and No Go, then sizing to Gage minimum ensures that all cases will chamber without resistance. Also ensures that standard pressure loads extract without resistance.

You can look at this image and see that both the chamber and case expand and contract during combustion. There is a tiny amount of springback in the brass and if the case did not over expand due to over pressure loads, there will be a clearance between the chamber and brass first firing. Second firing the brass will be a little harder and the clearance will be less. If the load is overpressure there will be an interference fit between the case and chamber. If you start out with an interference fit, such as people here are claiming is perfectly OK with neck sized rounds, then after firing, you will have even more of an interference fit.
Are you using FL bushing dies or FL dies with an expander button? I would assume that since you are into rifle match you are using bushing dies. I think that people need to make that disctinction when they talk about FL sizing.

Page generated in 0.03340 seconds with 8 queries