View Single Post
Old September 13, 2013, 07:50 PM   #40
MattShlock

Quote:
So, MattShlock, you would have just said, screw the kids I was here first and I'm not going anywhere and then proceeded to fire away knowing that you were very likely permanently damaging the children's hearing?
Of course not!

I would have started by doing exactly what the OP did -- but didn't finish. I would have explained that though THEY are only shooting .22 LR I am NOT. I'd have explained that anytime your ears ring you have permanent damage. I would have explained it is not just the responsible thing to do for oneself but especially for your family, youngins at that, whom you are here with and responsible for. That as an adult the grandfather had experience and a duty. That he must err on the side of caution.

I would have explained that even some wadded toilet paper would make a world of difference. I would have explained that the rules require hearing protection. I would have explained I was going to report him if he failed to follow them. I would have explained that I was staying to shoot, and make a lot of high pitched, loud, noise whether I got there before or after them. What he did next with his charge was then up to them. And of no moral weight, concern, nor consequence to me.

Next I would have fired my first shot, asked them if they hadn't changed their minds if they still refused hearing protection, and then I'd have shot to my heart's content bathing in the righteousness of my mature thoughts and evolved actions as well as self-respecting refusal to be something less than the fools around me at my insistance.

"Leaving so soon kids? I SAID, 'LEAVING SO SOON'!?"

Page generated in 0.03562 seconds with 8 queries