View Single Post
Old August 19, 1999, 06:51 AM   #1
DeadCalm

This is my first post, so forgive me if the effort's a bit wobbly.

I've sent two handguns out to two gunsmiths for action work. Both 'smiths are among the best around. (Most of you would know their names.) The first told me the work would take one month. Ok, fine. Nice guy, great to talk to. Called him a little after the first month to see where we were. He said the work was done, just needed to testfire it, and I'd probably have it within the week. Wrong. I called a few weeks later and left a polite message to let me know what had happened: did the gun ship? Lost? No answer. Called some weeks later. Same message, same response: none. That was two days ago. It's now three months since the gun shipped‹two months overdue. Am I picky, or is something wrong here?

Second 'smith (really, I'll try to keep this one shorter) has had this pistol for about three months as well. He never gave me a definite delivery date, but just seems to be waiting to squeeze it in somewhere. A few calls haven't produced anything. His assistant told me he was very busy cutting some new barrels and would try to get to it and...At least he's within driving distance. I plan to go pick it up and forget the whole thing. I'm high and dry on the first one.

I would've liked to use these guys a lot. They're both in-state, saving me some FFL hassles. They both have great reputations. There are not many good gunsmiths in my area, or the state.

Is this normal? Is there such a thing as "gunsmith time?" Can you give me advice on how to proceed with these guys? I don't want to get them ticked off, just want the work done and the guns back.

I'd like to hear from those on both sides of the workbench. Any anecdotes to add?

Your help is much appreciated. I'm going to go take my blood pressure medicine now.

Page generated in 0.02317 seconds with 8 queries